Monday 27 February 2012

Colour

Ok so I've been looking through the coursework and giving Colour some thought. Like I said, Colour was the section which excited me the most on this course, although I am not entirely sure why. I used to have my own darkroom and printed my own black and white prints from there for quite a few years. Given the choice I would always go for b&w shoots. The family portraits on the walls are all b&w. I love flicking through our old family photos - b&w of course.

However, we lived in NZ for a few years and the light quality there is incredible. And this means that the colours in nature there are stunning, the clarity is amazing. I have never seen so many shades of green in trees. The sky was more blue than I could imagine.

Whilst I am not really one for photoshopping and edits, I am now enjoying using the camera's manual setting to obtain truer colours while shooting. ( Also I have become a fan of Florabella actions, and love the subtle changes which can alter the mood of the image completely.)

I reread the section in the course book which reminds us that there are three qualities which define colour:

- hue (say red, blue etc)
- saturation (pure, intense, saturated -----> dull, weak, unsaturated)
- brightness (very bright ------------------> very dark)

I also gave thought to the Primary colours (red, yellow, blue) and Secondary colours (orange, violet and green) and the subject matter I might use to illustrate these colours in the next few projects. I had a thought that I could also do a "library" of the colours, or create a colour wheel, by using single flowers in each of the colours. I could also create a rainbow effect in this way maybe... As I am now completing the course just for me, I may tailor some of the projects to the kinds of photography that I most enjoy.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment