Wednesday 14 March 2012

Green

I tried to photograph something to illustrate "green". In the garden at this time of year, pretty much everything is green - grass, leaves, buds - so I headed out into the garden thinking "easy". Actually, not so easy as it happens.

I think I have said before that in NZ the light quality was such that you could see "a million" shades of green in the trees. Well it turns out that you can see tens, maybe even hundreds of shades of green in foliage. So leaves have turned out to be not quite an ideal subject for this project!




This was the "out of the camera" shot of (I think) foxglove leaves, which came in at 1/100 sec f4. I thought the green was too light overall so shot again in manual mode.



1/100 sec f5.6. And this is undoubtedly too dark. But I do think that some of the "greens" represent the green I am after.

Because the subject has many leaves, at all different angles, shadows are being cast which are affecting the brightness of the image. I think if I continue with the idea of foliage and flowers, I need to use a macro lens to pick out a small area of the subject. Lighting, using natural light, should be easier on a small single surface too.

I'll have another go......

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment