Monday 5 July 2010

Project 13 - The Golden Section

I have often used the mantra "third up third in" when shooting photos, and this roughly conforms to the Golden Section rule. 

For this project I shot several scenes/objects, consciously trying to place the main subject on the intersection of the thirds.


This statue of Wellington is in Norwich.  The line of grass finishes on a third and the statue is placed just withing a third.  If the statue was a little to the right in the frame it would have been on the correct line and I think it would have been a more aesthetically pleasing image.  As it stands the statue is a little too central.  The photo could be cropped to correct this.

This pillar box is in Norwich and I liked the wall it is standing in front of.  The pillar box is placed to the left of the frameand is almost perfectly on the vertical third line.  The horizontal third lineis just above the black base of the pillar box.  I think that the image is a pleasing one, and I like that the subject is to the left of the frame, rather than the right.
This plant pot is in my garden and is positioned to the right of the frame.  The centre of the pot is on the intersection of the thirds.  I like the position of the pot within the frame, but the image itself isn't particularly interesting as the background is too messy. 

This fuel pump is at our local airfield.  The horizontal third line cuts through the lower third of the pump housing and extends along a bench at the side of the pump perfectly.  The bench gives a visual third line in the original image.  The vertical third goes through the centre of the pump.  Again I like the composition of this image particularly as the subject is positioned to the left of the frame.
This image shows a marker in the sea at Sheringham with a seagull perched on top.  I like this as a simple seaside image.  The marker is positioned to the right of the frame, but could easily have been placed to the left.  The horizontal third line cuts through the base of the wooden marker and the vertical is just to the right of the marker.  I am pleased with this image.

                                       
This image shows a solitary groyne on Brancaster beach, Norfolk.  The subject is placed to the right of the frame, with the horizontal third line going through the base of the groyne.  The vertical third cuts through the groyne perfectly.  Also the horizon is on a third line.  I particularly like the simplicity of this image, and the composition which follows the thirds three ways.

Whilst I have often used the Rule of Thirds in my photography, it isn't a hard and fast rule for me - simply a guide or something to try when shooting.  I do like the simplicity of images which have a single subject placed towards the edge of the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment