Wednesday 28 July 2010

Project 16 - Defining a Point

In this project I have been asked to list as many types of situation I can which would make a clear photo of a point, thinking about the types of background, types of subject, lighting etc.

For a subject to be considered a point in a photograph it must be small in the frame and contrast with its surroundings.

  • small object against a plain background
  • dark coloured subject against a light background
  • light coloured object against a dark background
  • object with a strong focal point within it ( I am thinking about the flower close up in the coursework folder for project 16, page 102, where the centre of the flower contrasts with the dark petals around it )
Specifically :
  • poppy in a wheat field
  • horse in a field of green grass
  • car on a road
  • aeroplane in  the sky
  • dog on a beach
  • kite in the sky
Colour can be an important factor in determining a good photograph of a clear point, but we shall be covering colour later in the course. 

I looked through my photo collection and also photos I have saved from magazines, for ones which I felt were good examples of the use of a point.  I have attached a couple of my favourites.

When searching for one of an aeroplane in the sky, I found it difficult to find one with the 'plane small enough in the frame.  This shot is of a Mustang and was taken at a local air display earlier this year.  Althoough there is a large cloud popping up in the frame, the darker and distinct shape of the 'plane is strong enough to be a good point in the image.
                                     
This image is of a poppy in a field of unripe barley.  Here it is the colour of the bright red poppy which contrasts against the green-yellow of the barley creating the point.  The background is actually quite fussy, but the colour contrast emphasises the flower, and the eye is drawn to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment