Tuesday 25 May 2010

Assignment 1 - the photos

Right, these, I think, are my final images for Assignment 1 - Contrasts. Except I have one too many pairs ! And I still have an extra option for "straight"!

This is my choice for a "photograph which demonstrates contrast "in one picture" ". It is clearly of a zebra, but is an abstract of the zebra's markings. To me, a zebra is synonymous with "black and white"


Smooth - pot from the kitchen. I tried to photograph gem stones, but somehow they didn't convey the idea of smooth. I also thought about getting my older son to smooth his hair with Brylcreem !


Rough - tree bark. Love the texture.


Transparent - the vase, the water.....



Opaque - milk. I liked the idea of the similarity with the image it is contrasting with.




High - the CN Tower in Toronto, from the base.





Low - lying on my front in the garden to get a low viewpoint.




Curved - sign for a bend in the road.




Straight - I need to decide whether to use this one or.....



Straight - .....this one




Heavy - we had this topsoil delivered today and I liked the idea of having to use machinery to lift something so heavy.



Light - the floaty dandelion seeds contrasts with the heavy bag of soil above.




Pointed - I like shallow depth of field shots, and in this photograph I feel it emphasises the sharpness of the pin.




Blunt - pencils



Sour - lemons on a lightbox. I like this as a more unusual composition.




Sweet - cupcakes. I did try to copy the composition of the lemons above for this one, but it didn't look right. I think it was because the cupcakes are not flat like the lemon slices. The composition of this image worked much better.




Black - coal. As black as coal......




White - snowdrop. I did have a play around in Photoshop to try and make this image whiter, but the petals simply burnt out. So this image is as it was straight out of the camera.



Few - lone poppy in a field of rapeseed. I like the contrast between this and the following image where the numbers of poppies is far greater than the rape.




Many - poppies
OK - so I need to decide which image to use for "straight" and also which pair is the weakest and can be dropped.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for the follows. I like the zebra and think the pins works very well. The bend sign might benefit from a tighter crop (perhaps square ratio) or show more of the road and include the bend (if possible), it seems a bit in-between to me as it stands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I wasn't sure about the road sign to be honest - I think you are right about using a tighter crop. I will try that before I send the final selection off. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete