Thursday 20 May 2010

Project 11 - balance


3642
Unequal objects balanced as the larger object (arch) extends from the centre of the frame to the right hand side. Smaller subject (boy) is on the edge of the left hand side




3750
Two objects of similar size (both hay lorries) placed equidistant from the centre of the image. Only slight distraction is the small stack on the far right








3149
Poppy flower with stem central and petals radiating out from the central stem. Vertical symmetry.












3726
Again the smaller object (bench) is positioned towards the left hand edge of the frame and the larger object (footpath) extends from the centre of the frame to the right hand edge. It took a while for me to realise that the footpath balanced the bench in this image
















0753
Moeraki Boulders, NZ. The largest boulder on the right is closer to the centre than either boulder on the left. However I think the smallest boulder could be cropped out and the picture would still be balanced because of the position of the largest boulder. The picture works best with the three boulders though. If you cover the middle boulder I don't think the picture is so appealing - perhaps the distance between the objects is too great? In this case maybe a lower viewpoint would have helped.




















0441
The central character of the group is in the centre of the picture. The two children, although different heights, are so close to the central character that they give an idea of symmetry around Taz. Vertical symmetry.
The image I found hardest to identify the balance in was 0753 - the Moeraki Boulders, NZ. I really like the image and looking at it closely for this project made me wonder if a different compostion would have appealed to me as much. I think a lower viewpoint would have worked, as would getting in close with a wideangle lens as in project 10. Whilst I also think that the smallest boulder could be cropped out without upsetting the balance, I think the addition of the third boulder is more pleasing aesthetically.
note - I need to return to this project to add the balance scale sketches to my ring binder file under a tab of project 11. see original log book for sketches











No comments:

Post a Comment