Thursday 20 May 2010

Project 7 - objects in different positions in the frame

3723 - bench slightly right of centre


3725 - vertical orientation, bench central


3727 - bench placed top left



3728 - bench placed bottom left



3729 - bench placed bottom right




3730 - bench placed centrally
For this project I decided to shoot a bench on a footpath near my house.
Whilst I thought before taking the photos that I would prefer the bench to be placed centrally in the image, this didn't turn out to be the case. In 3730 your eye tends to stay on the bench and doesn't wander to take in the surroundings. For me the same thing happens in 3723 where the bench is just slightly off centre. 3723 also doesn't allow space in the image for a person to sit on the bench. All the space is behind the bench, and this makes the balance of the image wrong for me.
3727 is much more pleasing to my mind. There is space at the front of the bench for a person to approach and sit down. The eye is led around the image because of the unequal space on one side, and the footpath acts as a leading line.
3728 is my favourite. The bench is positioned in the bottom left hand third of the image and the horizon is close to the top third line. There is space in front of the bench and the footpath leads the eye though the image.
3729 is not as successful or pleasing to my eye as the space is all behind the bench. However, the bench is on a third and doesn't dominate the picture, and the row of tress gives the background interest.
3725 was taken on a vertical orientation, but the bench is the only point of interest in the image. I much prefer the horizontal orientation for this subject as there is more room for the surroundings and this makes for more interesting subject matter in these images. The horizontal orientation also reflects the shape of the subject.





No comments:

Post a Comment