Wednesday 19 May 2010

Project 6 - fitting the frame to the subject

3732


3733


3734



3735




3740




3741





3742







3743

Initially I shot a series of tractor shots nos 3735, 3733, 3734 and 3732.
3735 is a simple grab shot from the side of the road with little thought of composition. The bucket is lost in the background trees and the front wheels are lost behind the heap of manure.
3733 fits the subject as tightly as possible to the edges of the frame. The bucket arm extends beyond the fram though, and I wasn't too happy with this as it doesn't conformto the brief. I do like the detail in the image and the farmer's profile.
3734 is of one of the front wheels, but it is still obviously the wheel of a piece of farm machinery despite not being able to see the whole subject.
3732 is the photo where I considered the composition and tried to put the tractor in the context of its surroundings. I think that the tractor is too dominant though, possibly due to shooting against the sun which almost gives a silhouette in this instance, so I went on to shoot another subject.
Images 3740, 3741, 3742 and 3743 are of hay bales.
3740 was taken with no real thought to the composition of the image. Thers is no dominant subject as the bale blends into the stubble in the field.
3741 was taken trying to fit the subject to the edges of the frame, Although the edges extend beyond the frame at the sides, I feel this works in this image because of the circular pattern in the bale. It seems to bring the edges back into the image, probably because it is a regular pattern and shape and the minds eye is completeing the image.
3742 is of a small part of the bale. I really like the pattern of the straw and the coarse texture. The colours are lovely and give the image a feel of "late summer" with the lovely warm sunlight.
3743 was taken with thought ot the composition. The bale only takes up a small portion of the overall image, but as I shot from a slightly lower viewpoint, the bale is quite dominant. It is clearly visible above the horizon line. It is also in the context of its surroundings, and although is is dominant initially, your eye is allowed to wander over the rest of the image and to the other bales which causes the subject bale to recede and become more a part of the overall image.
I much prefer the bale set to the tractor set, but have left the tractor set in as part of this project as it helped me realise what I was doing wrong and focussed me more on what I was trying to achieve.
My favourite image is 3742, the one which is a small part of the bale. I like photos which show detail, and this gives an idea of the texture and also I like the curve of the straw within the bale








No comments:

Post a Comment